Saturday, June 12, 2010

The First Few Days in a Foreign Land

I have settled a bit into life in Paris. I signed up for French classes yesterday and they start on Monday. I will be doing the 5-week intensive class, 4 hours a day! It really is a humbling experience when you come in, thinking you know a bit of the language (I took 3 years, for crying out loud!) and realize you know NOTHING. I am a bit scared to start on Monday, but I know it will be worth it all in the end. I now feel like a child, unable to communicate with people.

I have spent some time exploring the city a bit, although its not as fun when you are alone! I went to the Louvre, walked along the Seine, walked along the Champs-Elysees, saw the Arc D'Triumph, saw the Eiffel Tower, and went to the Luxembourg gardens. I feel though that I am a bit touristed out. I don't know how people can just go backpacking all the way through Europe for months at a time. I have done about 3 weeks of it and I am done. Touring through London, Cardif, Dublin, Belfast, Portadown, Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, and now Paris, I am kaputz! And I haven't hardly touched Paris. But it's ok, I am here all summer!

I am slowly learning the "ins" and "outs" of missionary life, from the finance side of it to the language and the fears of offending someone! I definitely know this summer isn't going to be a piece of cake. It will be hard but good. Language learning will be difficult. Communication will be hard, but through God's mercies I will prevail.

It looks like I will be able to lead a Bible study for some French girls that want to go to America. They know a bit English and want to practice, and I want to practice my French! I will also be able to play my viola in the praise band. I'm also going to be connecting with some missionaries that are working with Northern African Muslim women. I may be teaching english, or learning French with them!

Here are some pictures!







Bon soir for now, thanks for all your prayers!

Monica

No comments: