Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ins and Outs

So I have started classes, finished my first week! It's coming! Being immersed in it is really helping. I also am really good at making people think I understand them! haha...

I moved in with Monsieur and Madame Bauge, the greatest couple ever! He is French, she is English. They are a sweet retired couple that are so hospitable and generous enough to have me stay with them for these next 5 weeks. Dinner conversations are great and the food is even better!

I have come to realize that my internship is going to look a lot different than I thought. I won't be able to be very useful here. I know that sounds weird, but it's because A) You cannot do ANYTHING if you do not know the language. and B) It takes a lot of time and trust for the French people to open up. BUT, with that said, I am learnng A LOT and know that I will learn more. And that is what my internship should be about anyway. I am learning the language. I am observing the culture. I am getting to know the city of Paris. I am meeting some great people, French and others. I am understanding missionary life!

All in all, this has been and will be a great experience for me and something that will hopefully shape my future! Whether I spend it in France or somewhere else.

Anyway, things are great over here and now I am off to bed!

P.S. Congrats to Ben and Kim Tyler!! They were married today :)

1 comment:

Amy Richey said...

Monica, you understand so well how crippling it is to not be able to function in the native language!

You are being prepared...focus on that. Your time will come.