Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Josh Groban and Tofu


I shall update you on my wonderful weekend of Josh Groban!
(Like anyone actually reads this...)

Just a short update and then on to something more interesting, tofu!

So my sister and I went to Chicago to see JOSH GROBAN! You know, like the most glorious man to ever walk the earth who has the more angelic voice ever. I think I just sounded like a brace-faced Justin Bieber fan.... Oh well. For HIM I will do that.
We bought his new CD, Illuminations (Buy it!)
And we went to Border's on State street for him to sign it. We got to talk to him for about 40 seconds, get his autograph, and then we were ushered away. But it was 40 seconds in Heaven!


Train Ride: four hours
Train Tickets: 60$
Time in line: three hours
40 seconds with Josh Groban: priceless.

Does that make me a fanatic?

On another note! I have decided that I need to get my health into gear. After living on a college campus for four years, I have had my fair share of the ice cream machine, Taco Tuesdays, Big Burger Thursdays, and Starbucks around EVERY corner. (yeah, it was Chicago)
SO now that I am living at home for a time, I have a health nut mother who readily buys anything and everything organic, green, gluten-free, fat-free, fun-free that she can.
So I am now giving this losing weight, being healthy thing a real effort. I HATE gyms. But we are members of the Y (the best gym around) and I. must. start. liking. it.

With that said, I have also decided to be a sort-of vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I love meat and I believe that God put animals on this earth for us to enjoy, but it is something in my diet that I can live without. I am not going to become a crazy high-maintenance weirdo when I am out with friends or when there is absolutely no option, but when I am at home, I am going to try and not eat meat. The other week I bought this wonderful package of tofu that I wanted to see if I could cook. Well, I tried it tonight and LOVED it!


I googled "tofu recipe" and found this blog with a woman who cooked it. I decided to try it.




I took some pictures. :)

Here are all my ingredients.


I modified it from the original recipe (here) to accommodate what I had in the kitchen.


14 oz. extra firm organic tofu


2 T grape-seed oil


2 tsp. finely minced garlic


2 tsp. finely grated ginger root


1 cup scallions, sliced into 2 inch pieces (Keep white parts separate from green parts)


3 T chicken stock (I know, if I'm going veggie, why kill a Chicken for the stock??! Well, that's all I had. You can use vegetable stock. And besides, they were free-range chickies, at least they were treated humanely!)


1 1/2 T lite soy sauce


1 tsp. Chia life seeds (original recipe calls for sesame seeds, but I didn't have them and these seeds give great omega 3's and fiber!)


Anyway, at the risk of making this a super long post that no one reads, I will just have you refer to the original recipe for the directions. Here are some pictures though!

Yeah, that's me.



The tofu doesn't look to good in its original state...












I also decided to add roasted asparagus to the mix. Grape-seed oil, salt, pepper, dash of soy sauce, lemon squirt. ;)



The finished product!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monica how much are you trying to lose?! College was hard.. it is difficult to get into the swing of things healthwise. Good luck with the Tofu stuff! Hopefully it will get better. The 30 pounds I gained in college are proving hard to lose now-a-days!