Thursday, November 25, 2010

Let's Look at the Future

So. I just graduated from Moody. A Bible college. You may be wondering what am I going to do with my life?? Yes, I am asking that same question. Last week, I was going to go to Korea. This week, I am a full-time nanny.
I have been job searching ever since I got back from my internship in France. I had a little job for two months working at a camp, but if you have seen the weather outside right now in Michigan, people aren't really going to camps right about now. So that temporary job has finished and I have searched and searched and searched to find a job remotely in what I feel called to do. My dream is to work overseas sharing Jesus. But right now I have no life experience or financial independance or real direction from God to warrant me jumping on the first available ship to Timbuktu (is that really a place?) (ok, apparently it's in Mali...) I am sort of a skitzo when it comes to real life future plans, so when I feel a nudge to do something drastic, my family is always reigning me in, trying to make sure it's really God's will and not crazy Monica on another adventure tangent.
I really don't know where I am going with this post, but I do know that I have finally gotten a job! (yaaaay!) and with that, comes the commitment of at least a year with these kids. I will be working 55 hours a week (eek!) taking care of a 2 year old and a 6 year old. Girl and a boy. I am pretty excited about this, it will give me the time to really seek the Lord on His direction for my life and give me time to save for either: Grad School, TESOL certification courses (or both).
I am really believing at this point that I need a solid skill to go on the mission field with. Graduating with a degree in International Ministries and Bible goes far with mission agencies and churches, but the rest of the world barely thumbs their noses. I want to be a missionary in a country where people see me as helping the way they do life, not just someone who's sole objective is to shove an ideology down their throat. Even if that ideology is the difference between eternal life and eternal damnation. I want to work with refugees, the hopeless, the poor, the dissillusioned of this world. If it is overseas, praise the Lord, if it is here in America, praise the Lord. "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9.
There are many things I don't know, but one thing I know for sure: I want to serve the Lord and be a contageous Christian wherever he plants me.

1 comment: